The Green Gap

In the Cold War, we feared a Missile Gap was a strategic weakness. Nowadays, we must awaken to the fact that the Green Gap is true strategic weakness: the nations whose economies will thrive in the coming years will not be those with the biggest factories, but those with the most sustainable, efficient, and ecological markets. What we require is a Strategic "Green Reserve" of ecological design to weather the coming changes that both climate and resource scarcity will force on the international economy.

Sunday 8 May 2011

Hippies Want Me to Build a Geodesic Dome

I found this link on building a geodesic dome greenhouse for over-winter planting in the mountains of Colorado. The dryness and cold (and the altitude, to a degree) are reminiscent of my beloved Alberta, so I had to take a look (even though I find geodesic domes kinda hokey). My dad likes geodesic domes so I felt I owed it to him to at least give the thing a look-see.

What I found was a pretty cool integrated design. Given the water tanks for thermal mass, the design lends itself to aquaponics, so my mind started chugging. There is a video of the greenhouses on youtube, and the pair who make them look like some good old-fashioned hippies. A longer video showcases another Colorado site high in the mountains employing a gigantic 51' geodesic greenhouse. I may have been converted, then again, maybe not.

No comments:

Post a Comment